Director of Content
Responsible for leading a team of editors in developing engaging and relevant industry information and building key industry relationships to support the brands’ initiatives. Leads the brands’ overall content strategy, channel differentiation strategies/plans and content discovery utilizing social and SEO best practices. Responsible for identifying and developing new products and improving/iterating existing products in collaboration with cross functional teams. Acts as a key member of the executive management team in planning and implementing short and long-term objectives in alignment with Allured’s strategic business plans.
LEADERSHIP SKILLS REQUIRED
- Leadership – Successful experience leading a team in a project driven environment.
- Organization – Demonstrated ability to multi-task and meet a variety of deadlines.
- Critical Thinking – Ability to identify trends and adjust strategy using analytical and quantitative problem solving.
- Analytics – Excellent command of analytics platforms to adjust content strategy and tactics to optimize subscriber/user engagement.
- Content Marketing – Demonstrated experience in leading and executing a successful content marketing strategy to drive engagement with indigenous subscribers/users as well as non-indigenous readers/users that include the business and financial press.
- Thought Leadership – Proven success in speaking on key trends, dynamics and inflections occurring in the market at the Allured Conferences as well as at our key industry conferences and trade events.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Sets the content and information strategy for each brand. Establishes a content differentiation position for each of the brands’ products in collaboration with sales, audience development, digital and the event management teams.
- Creates, communicates and ensures corporate best-practice strategies for and creating, repurposing and distributing information across all channels – magazine, digital, mobile (tablet and app) and social – utilizing all content types – original, contributed, user-generated and native advertising.
- Establishes key relationships across each market to gain the understanding of the served markets (important developments, trends, etc.), how that information is of value and how it is best distributed in a platform-agnostic environment to engage each brands’ audiences.
- Identifies new business opportunities and participates in research, building business plans, setting budgets and ensuring ROI. Oversees editorial budgets and assigns individual accountability for expense management to staff.
- Establishes Allured Business Media’s content offering as the pre-eminent resource and thought leader for critical market data for the Global Beauty and Personal Care Industry.
- Collaborates with cross functional teams to plan and implement short and long-term objectives for all existing and new product brands.
- Contributes to the creation of new content/data/product opportunities to gain new sell-side clients and new buy-side audiences.
- Establishes, directs and publishes Allured hosted conference content in collaboration with the respective managing editors and show managers.
- Leads a team of editors to build engaging platform-agnostic content with various levels of website access, open and registered.
- Develops and monitors editorial goals and works with the team to ensure they are met.
- Attends industry events and trade shows/conferences to stay current on markets and meet audience and suppliers.
- Works with the managing editors in development and communications of editorial management based on content engagement trends seen in Google Analytics.
- Monitors competitors’ products, conducts content audits.
Staff Management Responsibilities
- Staff Development: Coaches, identifies staff development opportunities and promotes succession planning for all positions supervised.
- Directs the hiring, training and performance evaluations of managing editors, associate editors, and social media editors. Trains staff and promotes company-wide consistency of reporting and recording of pertinent editorial data.
- Establishes standard operating procedures for operations, reporting and naming conventions.
- Establishes editorial goals and objectives of subordinates to achieve company-wide goals.
- Develops and utilizes company-wide administrative systems for all internal operating procedures pertaining to the editorial process and policies of the business.
- Manages a staff of 10; 4 managing editors, 4 associate editors, and 2 social media editors.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism
- A minimum of 7 years’ staff management experience
- Experience managing 4 or more direct reports
- 10 years content development – digital, events, magazine, mobile, social
- 5 years’ experience with social media and can demonstrate engaging a following.
- Actively engages in developing leadership, management and professional skills for the editorial team.
Knowledge and Skills
- Social Media expertise: i.e. Blogger, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Meet-Ups, etc.
- Excellent journalistic standards
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Comfortable and charismatic speaker
- Excellent communicator; ability to communicate orally and in writing with all levels of an organization; internally and externally.
- Analytic, organized, decisive, effective and efficient.
- Collaborative, cooperative, team-player, cross functional mindset
- Mentor/develop talent
- Expertise with digital and mobile distribution channels, Google Analytics, social media and digital editing software.
- Comfortable representing the company in a variety of industry and professional settings.
- Knowledge and experience in the beauty industry a plus.
- Ability to Work Under Pressure
- Driven to Complete Initiatives
The physical demands described here a representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodates may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office is located above ground level.
- Must operate office equipment, machines and computer.
- May walk, bend, stoop, lift and carry up to 15 lbs.
- Travel 1 week a month.
- May stand and walk for long periods of time, up to 10 hours, if participating in trade shows or special industry events.
- Work requires close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office environment; works closely with others.
- Clean, well-lighted area with access to up-to-date technology and equipment.
- Internal – CEO, President, Executive Management Team, editorial staff, cross-functional teams.
- External – Clients (existing and potential), associations, other trade organizations, industry professionals when representing the company.
Direct responsibility for overall editorial budgets to meet company objectives. Works in collaboration with management team to deliver profit objectives for each product and brands